Saturday 24 September 2016

Review- Asda NEW Spreads: Dark Chocolate & Mint and Salted Caramel Chocolate

Today's review should have been yesterdays review. I had my Thursday all planned out - Go to Asda for NEW Spreads, buy NEW Spreads, eat NEW Spreads, post review on Friday of NEW Spreads.. But this turned out to all be in folly. Not only was the entire store evacuated and my shopping abandoned but then my car broke down.. In the carpark.. Where I waited for a serial oversharer of an RAC man. Pure joy. 


So considering I left empty handed on the NEW Spread front and £90 poorer thanks to my car giving up the ghost, I made a special trip on this sunny Saturday and finally got my hands on the Dark Chocolate & Mint and Salted Caramel Chocolate varieties, both priced at £1.50 each and weighing in at the standard 400g. 


Dark chocolate and mint flavour spread and Caramel & chocolate flavour spread with sea salt. 

Dark Chocolate & Mint


Starting with the jar I was most excited about and a question.. Why has a Mint Choc Spread never been a thing until now?! I've certainly not seen such a thing before. Unscrewing the lid and the familiar "After Eight-esque" scent was clear from first whiff and I got stuck in, in my traditional manner of spooning straight from the jar. Very soft and silky smooth texture wise, the dark chocolate gave off plenty of coca rich tones and was by no means as sweet as the usual milk variety used. The mint proved to deliver with an almost tongue tingling, refreshing feel but wasn't as anywhere near as potent as an After Eight.. But plenty enough for a Spread! Delicious - A 4.5 out of 5 from me. 

Salted Caramel Chocolate


Moving onto the Salted Caramel and a second question.. Was it actually going to be salted?! Having a scoop, the buttery smelling spread, definitely had a much thicker texture to above but still velvety. Taste wise, the milk chocolate, albeit pleasant enough was fairly sweet and generic with the tones of toffee/caramel coming through nicely with a smidgen of salt to cut through. This prevented things from becoming overly sickly and even MSW who isn't usually a fan of caramel things, found it enjoyable. A nice balance - It's a 4 out of 5 from me. 

Success! These NEW Mint Choc and Salted Caramel Spreads were worth the wait - I can find very little fault with the first, apart from, I would have liked some minty nibs mixed in for that added bit of crunch.. And the latter, well a higher quality of milk chocolate would have bumped up the marks but I do appreciate how it isn't too sweet or too salty - Talk about being fussy, right? I want salted but not overly salted.. At least Asda have managed to deliver here! Get yourself down to your local store and give both a go. Enjoy your weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. Dark chocolate mint has a place in my life asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woweeeee a double whammy of deliciousness. Thank the JJ considering you had to go back again! Xxx

    ReplyDelete