Tuesday 2 August 2016

Review- Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Sticky Toffee Pudding

Sticky Toffee Pudding is an all year round dessert, right? I see no reason why something so delightful should be limited to the winter months.. The sun appears to have seen August coming and done a disappearing act in exchange for rain anyways so I say, now is as good as time as any to indulge! 


It was Sainsbury's where I bought my 450g, Taste the Difference Sticky Toffee dessert, currently on offer at £3.. I haven't tried any of their "premium" puds before but the selection is vast and they all looked mighty tasty so it's worth a browse if you're a newbie like me! 


All butter and Delget Nour date sponge pudding with a sea salt toffee sauce and decorated with whole Delget Nour dates

Designed to feed 4, the Veggie friendly and freezable treat got a slightly bit smoshed in transit - I was pretty lucky not to lose all the sauce considering the thing was practically upside down by the time I got home! I chose not to heat mine up in the oven or microwave out of the fear of it having the horrible "nuked" sponge pudding taste and texture but if hot things float your boat.. Go for it*. 


How good does the golden toffee look? That thick, gooey texture would be lost to a liquid puddle had I heated it! Taking a forkful, the sponge proved to be light and soft despite its chilled state with zero in terms of stodge and beautifully buttery in flavour. I found the date aspect not to be all that overpowering as the main taste was nothing short of full on toffee! - Not to dissimilar to Werther's Originals in taste, the abundance of sauce added oodles of sweetness, felt silky smooth in the mouth and generally, something I could eat by the bucketful given the chance! The date on top was a substantial finishing touch being soft and squidgy, adding further to the toffee tones and almost feeling like a treat itself - Yum!

Well, I for one am very pleased I stumbled across this Sticky Toffee Pudding in Sainsbury's - It's absolutely smashing and without a shadow of a doubt, the best supermarket bought version of the classic dessert, I've ever had! Serve with ice cream or custard and you'll be on to a winner.. It's a 4.5 out of 5 from me. 

*Heat at 160ºC fan oven for 25 minutes or zap in the microwave for 2.. Or appreciate the full flavour by having it cold with hot custard.. I promise you, it's the way forward! 

No comments:

Post a Comment