Tuesday 9 February 2016

Review- Tesco Finest Hot Cross Buns: Extra Fruity and Bramley Apple & Cinnamon

Easter may be a whole month away but in my house, that doesn't prevent us from buying Hot Cross Buns as soon as they hit the shops - We do like them an awful lot and get through packets and packets! Nowadays you seem to be able to get a smorgasbord of different flavours.. I've seen Cherry ones, St Clement, Ginger, Toffee, Chocolate, Mocha - You name it, you can pretty much get it! 


Some say we are boring but we say we are traditional when it comes to the humble Hot Cross Bun. I picked up these tame Finest offerings from Tesco on a 2 for £2 deal - Extra Fruity and Bramley Apple & Cinnamon.. Oo exotic! 

Extra Fruity


Packed with plump orange juice-soaked raisins, sultanas and Chilean flame raisins. With a touch of honey. 


Extra fruity, plump dried fruit? Hell yes - The bun was packed as you can see! Soft and squidgy, the dough itself was the perfect texture and wasn't remotely dry with pieces of fruit running throughout. The signature taste of the well loved Easter treat was very much apparent with its subtle spice and citrus-y notes from the peel as well as the juice. I personally couldn't taste any honey but naturally, there was a sweetness with a super sticky exterior to match. Sheer perfection - A 4 out of 5 from me. 

Bramley Apple & Cinnamon


Made with Kentish Bramley candied apple, juicy sultanas and spiced with cinnamon.


Moving on to the "exotic" option.. Once again, the Hot Cross Bun was packed to the brim with both plump, squidgy dried fruit as well as apple pieces - Although these claimed to be candied, I found them to be much softer than a citrus peel and would have just assumed they were just chunks of the fruit. The warmth of cinnamon paired with the apple went perfectly together and had a very much Autumnal/Christmassy feel which not so surprisingly was a match made in heaven to all the other elements of the melt in the mouth, springy, moist bun. Another 4 out of 5! 

See, it pays not to break from tradition! These Tesco Finest Hot Cross Buns are very enjoyable indeed and far superior to any supermarket regular line, I've ever had - You don't even need to toast or smother them in butter (Although I understand if you do feel the need) because they are perfect as is! I highly recommend you hop on down to Tesco, buy both now and maybe keep your eyes peeled for the Hot Cross Scones of last year for me, as they were superb.. And I am still in denial over the fact they are no longer doing them. Boo. 

5 comments:

  1. Extra fruity! They look lovely :) I wonder what hot cross bun options/flavours M&S will come up with this Easter! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get yourself down to M&S pronto as they are the place that has all these delicious flavours! Although it seems their NEW Mocha Hot Cross Buns have gone MIA already :/ Let me know what you find! xx

      Delete
    2. The M&S Cherry Berry ones were super dry but the Mocha are good!

      Delete
  2. Good news, Tesco Finest Hot Cross Scones 4 Pack is currently listed on Tesco's site. £1 until 29th Feb, it says.

    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=285529296

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my good golly gosh!! You've brought them back to me!! :D I've been looking in store for weeks and I swear they haven't been online either.. Unless I have been being a dingbat and totally missing them! Lol. I can't wait until my store has them! xx

      Delete