Monday 5 October 2015

Review- Asda Extra Special NEW Brioche Bread and Butter Budding and Madagascan Vanilla Custard

Asda, the Champion of fresh puds, seem to have loads of NEW warm desserts out at the minute - Perfect since the weather is getting chillier. With much choice comes much dilemma and after some serious to-ing and fro-ing, I decided upon this Extra Special Brioche Bread and Butter Pudding. 


I couldn't quite remember the price but having looked at the other Extra Special desserts on the Asda website, I am going to assume this one is priced the same at £3.50. 


Vanilla custard encasing buttery brioche and juicy Chilean raisins, with apricot glaze


I cooked the pudding for the recommended 20 minutes in a preheated 170ºC fan oven - It was piping hot and looked a lovely golden brown. 


Since such things most definitely require extra custard.. I picked up the Madagascan Vanilla option from the same "premium" range for £1.80.


This time round, I broke the rules by not following the preparation instructions of heating on the hob for 7 minutes.. Who's got time for that? I poured mine into a glass jug and microwaved for a couple of minutes until scolding enough to burn your tongue. 


Please forgive how unattractive that looks - I didn't chuck it in the bowl yet it still looks sorry for itself under my bright kitchen lighting. Its a good job its all in the taste, right? The Brioche pudding was so soft and light with a foamy sort of feel - You don't have to chew this stuff whatsoever, it really is that melt in the mouth. It tasted buttery and sweet with the apricot adding a nice fruity tang. Huge plump and juicy raisins were in abundance throughout. I counted 9 in my quarter portion and that wasn't just me getting lucky - Everyone got a more than generous amount! The custard on top was very nice also and thickened up significantly when heated. The flavour was creamy and strong of vanilla and was a fab accompaniment to the pudding.. Even if it was already set in a custard! 

I think I made the right choice when it came to picking dessert last week - It went down a treat with MSW and BSW. You might question if it will feed the 4 it claims to when taking it out of the box but with a topping, be it custard, cream or ice cream.. It will do the job! I would buy both again but as always, am keen to try more of the NEW puds, Asda has to offer. Its a 4 out of 5 for each! 


No comments:

Post a Comment