Saturday 27 June 2015

Review- The Co-op NEW Truly Irresistible Passion Fruit & Coconut Cake

My local Co-ops are pants and never seem to have anything other than tinned food and booze - Neither of which I could live off, unfortunately. I was on my holidays in Suffolk last week with the Co-op being the local shop and to my pleasant surprise, turned out to contain a plethora of exciting snacks! 


I was immediately drawn towards this NEW Truly Irresistable Passion Fruit & Coconut Cake which was on offer for £2.


Coconut flavour cake filled with passion fruit jam, topped with coconut flavour buttercream and decorated with a jaffa orange jam and coconut chips. 


As soon as I opened the box, I was engulfed in a tropical coconut scent. The slices cut well although the cakes texture was slightly denser than I imagined - It was verging on being more of a madeira sponge than its light and fluffy appearance. Taste wise, it was super sweet coconut all the way which at first, I found to be being slightly overpowering. I noticed that the layer of passion fruit jam wasn't a consistently spread layer and most had squidged out one side of the cake so I had to taste it separately. It was fruity with a flavour not to dissimilar to that of a Solero Ice Cream - I am sure if it had actually been in the cake, it would have cut all the sweetness! The jaffa orange jam had a good tang to it although it was a little sparse given the thick, sweet and creamy coconut buttercream, it was drizzled upon. I wasn't mad for the coconut chips which topped the cake either - They were a little hard and chewy so I am thankful, they were few and far between!

This cake has the potential to be amazing.. Sort out the layer discrepencies and I reckon, The Co-op would be on to a winner! It is definitely worth giving a go if you are a massive coconut fan like me -Dontcha just love how the stuff comes out in full force when Summer is upon us!? Its a 3 out of 5 for this sugar rush inducing delight!

1 comment:

  1. Is this still available at Co-Operatives, or has it been discontinued?

    ReplyDelete