Monday 29 August 2016

Review- M&S NEW Spirit of Summer: Very Berry Cheesecake

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Cheesecake is up there, if not number 1 when it comes to my favourite desserts. When done well, it's hard to find anything better - The biscuit base, the creamy centre, the never ending list of flavour options and toppings.. Cheesecake is an amazing thing and I'll dispute anyone who says otherwise!  


Thankfully, there are no arguments in my house as we all love it and were pretty thrilled to see MSW had bought a Spirit of Summer Very Berry Cheesecake from M&S. Part of a 2 for £6 offer, the 560g chilled dessert which is designed to feed 6, costs £4 when bought individually and is happy to be consumed by the Vegetarians of this world as well as popping into the freezer for a later date. 


A creamy baked Madagascan vanilla cheesecake on a digestive biscuit base with a fruity summer berry topping. 


As instructed, I ran a sharp knife around the inside of the plastic container and pushed the cheesecake up through the centre hole of the base. Much to my delight, I managed not to send the whole thing for a purler and it came out in one piece, albeit a bit snagged around the edges.


The cheesecake cut well into pretty, picture perfect slices, staying completely intact as well as smelling super summery. Taking a forkful, the layers were all plenty thick with the biscuit base being crisp and densely packed, the cheesecake robust yet soft and the berry topping, jelly like with a cool feel. Flavour wise, the tang of fresh berry was the initial hit in being surprisingly tart with very little sweetness.. The taste actually reminded me a bit of the kids Frube/Choob, Forest Fruit (Or whatever they were called!) yoghurts from back in the day! The middle layer was as expected - Extremely creamy and rich with tones of vanilla throughout and far superior to a non baked cheesecake. As for the biscuit, this was where most of the sweetness came into play with the signature digestive taste that just paired up beautifully with the other elements. Yum! 

Overall, this Spirit of Summer Very Berry Cheesecake is a seriously good dessert from M&S! I can find very little fault in it apart from maybe the lack of overall sweetness not being to everyones taste.. I however wasn't fussed in the slightest! I will most definitely be having to try the Sunken Caramel/Dulce de Leche Cheesecake now too! It's a 4.5 out of 5 from me today! 

1 comment:

  1. I dont know what planet your on but I thought this was awful, the worst cheesecake I've tasted. Expensive, tasteless bland not enough sugar, the only bit I liked was the cream I had with it. Do not buy!

    ReplyDelete