Tuesday 29 March 2016

Review- Sainsbury's NEW Lemon Curd Filled Iced Buns

Easter may be over for another year but this does not mean we can't carry on with the spring like flavours, especially since said flavour didn't feature here last week. I give to you, Lemon - Sainsbury's Lemon Curd Filled Ice Buns to be precise!


I was very excited to see this NEW pack of 6 Iced Buns in the Bakery aisle and showed no hesitation when chucking them in my trolley, ready to pay £1.20. If you are a long time reader, you might recall the almighty M&S Whitby Buns that I banged on about for the majority of last year.. Given that they cost a whopping, 2 for £1.30, you can't knock Sainsbury's pricing here at all! 


Lemon flavoured finger bun filled with lemon curd and topped with a lemon flavoured icing. 

One, slightly sweaty but very delightful looking, beautifully iced, Bun.


I have to say, the dough itself looked questionable from the start - Cutting through, it was most apparent it wasn't going to be light and fluffy as I envisaged. My fears proved to be correct when taking a bite.. Although palatable, it was a tad dry and almost stale despite being well within the Use By date. Thankfully, things improved greatly with the flavour - The curd was plentiful, smooth and surprisingly, reminiscent of something homemade with its super tangy, citrus kick. As for the icing on top which was also fairly generous, a much subtler and sweet flavour came through helping cut any chance of things becoming over tart or a potential pucker face! 

Overall, these NEW Lemon Curd Filled Iced Buns do lack a decent dough but the lemon aspect ain't to shabby at all. Don't get me wrong, by no means are they anywhere near as spectacular as the Whitby Bun but they do hit the spot when a zesty treat is required on the cheap - It's a 3 out of 5 from me. 

4 comments:

  1. A sweaty bun with questionable dough. My oh my!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things were very very questionable, peanut! xx

      Delete