Saturday 5 March 2016

Review- Asda NEW Puds: Carrot Cake, Banoffee Bombs and Rhubarb Jumbles

Something crazy seems to have happened to Asda's Fresh Dessert section - It's over run with Puds! No word of a lie, there are about a dozen+ NEW additions.. From fruity, St Clement, Passionfruit and Coconut to Millionaires and Mocha with Gingerbread Latte, Afternoon Tea, Apple Betty and a Blueberry Pancake number thrown in along the American way for good measure.. And that's just to name a few!  


After much umming and ahhing, I decided on the Carrot Cake, Banoffee Bombs and Rhubarb Jumbles which all cost £2 each with the latter weighing in slightly less at 96g per pot rather than the 100g seen in the Carrot and the 135g with the Banoffee. I'm going to assume this theme runs throughout all the NEW Desserts as they come in variety of different size pots.. Just to boggle everyone a bit. 

Carrot Cake


Cream cheese flavour mousse, carrot cake flavour compote and mixed spice sponge pieces.

Oo look at the gooey, ooeyness. The Pud smelt amazing and surprisingly like Cream Cheese - I half expected it to be nondescript! Digging all the way down to the bottom to ensure I got all three elements, I took a big mouthful and was immediately in heaven! The super smooth compote was the first thing to hit with its relatively spicey kick of cinnamon and ginger - Something we all know to be key with a good Carrot Cake. This was only complimented by the sponge which was soft enough and once again, packed full of those signature mixed spice flavours as well as proving to be a decent contrast in texture to all the soft. As for the pillowy mousse which was generously topping the lot, it was creamy and sweet with a good tang that was only to easy to identify as being Cream Cheese. Delicious - 4 out of 5 from me!

Banoffee Bombs


Banana mousse with fudge and toffee flavour sauces, sponge pieces and toffee chips. 


Moving onto the Banoffee Bomb and the one I was the most apprehensive about.. I love the flavour combination but in recent years have acquired an on-off banana allergy but figured I would risk these given my general wild ways and the fact the content of said fruit was only at 2.4%. This may seem not a lot but boy, did these pack a punch! The mousse was full on banana and nothing but with the balance of being "real" and artificial, perfectly paired. Super smooth and sticky, the toffee flavour was the next element to show itself which I would liken to the buttery taste of Werthers Original. The odd bit of sponge came to light but wasn't any where as near apparent or abundant as the Carrot Cake, above. A sprinkling of crunchy chips on the top was the delicious finishing touch which heightened the Toffee even further as well as complimented the lingering, banana aftertaste! It's a 4.5 out of 5 from me! 

Rhubarb Jumbles




























Vanilla flavour mousse, cheesecake batter, rhubarb compote and flapjack pieces. 


Finally, the Rhubarb Jumbles which were bought in mind of MSW who can't get enough of the pink stalked stuff! As seen with the previous Puds, the mousse was whipped a treat with a lovely texture but this time didn't deliver in terms of taste - It was bland with no real vanilla flavour and all a bit claggy! The Cheesecake batter was also a let down as I couldn't even distinguish such a thing, let alone taste it. A very subtle tang came from the measly portion of Rhubarb at the bottom which was certainly way more chunky than a compote should ever be. As for the flapjack pieces, they were buttery and soft with a good chewy, oaty texture but unfortunately, couldn't save the thing from being almost tasteless overall. A disappointing 2 out of 5 from me. 

Well, minus the Rhubarb Jumbles, I am quite pleased I picked up these NEW Desserts - Both the Carrot Cake and Banoffee Bombs have some serious flavour and make for very luxurious, indulgent Puds that would go down a treat with anyone and everyone! I would definitely buy both again, if not, try some of the others flavours from the never ending list. One thing that I can't not mention though is the absence of a Red Velvet option - Why Asda have covered classic American Desserts here but failed to include the best of the lot, is beyond me.. Someone sort it out, please! 

12 comments:

  1. Look at that JJ spoon action shot right there!!! Come on Asda get on it and give what the people want - RED VELVET!!!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you appreciate some good JJ spoon action when you see it! :D The Cream Cheese mousse on this occasion is to good not to be paired with Red Velvet.. If it had been naff I would've been MEH but CMON Asda! xx

      Delete
  2. I'd rather see a cinnamon bun-inspired utilisation of the cream cheese mousse myself. Soft bun dough chunks and some sort of spicy-cinnamony goo? Yes please.
    Interested to learn of this new line -the carrot cake is one I'd like to try. Whether or not I CAN, however is as yet unknown; your review (as with all reviews) would be more helpful if it included whether or not the product is suitable for vegetarians. Many products aren't, and gelatine is particularly all-too common in such desserts as these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that my reviews aren't helpful - I am sure there are many others out there that are. I do state whether things are vegetarian on occasion but as I am not myself, it isn't really a big priority of mine. And just so we are all fully aware, it doesn't actually state on the packaging whether these are suitable or not, so.. Take it up with Asda and perhaps check out the website yourself. :) xx

      Delete
  3. Yum!! I'm heading to my local Asda this week I think - super excited about the Carrot Cake and Banoffee varieties. Think I'll most definitely be picking some up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need the Banoffee.. Although I ate my second one yesterday and I didn't find it to be as banana-y as the first :/ Not sure what that is about! xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Lucy, Thanks for reviewing the Asda desserts- glad you mostly enjoyed them! Just to let you know, we do have a red velvet variant in the range. It's called '2 Black Forest Velvets' and they have red velvet sponge cubes on the top with layers of morello cherry compote and rich belgian chocolate mousse underneath. Give them a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but that's not proper Red Velvet though.. Thats just sponge chucked in and called "Velvet" haha. I want the traditional sort with a Cream Cheese mousse.. By all means chunk in a chocolatey syrup or something too but it's got to have the CC to be the real deal! xx

      Delete
  5. Your blog is terrible

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy: Great review. Do you review motorbikes too?

    ReplyDelete